Sunday, October 12, 2014

SUNDAY: Go Home and Get Your Lunch


You'll get a chuckle out of this tale from "The Grits Guide to Life". . . .
 
My young daughter Dana often visited her grandparents in a small Southern town where every day a siren blew to mark the noon hour. It was so loud that it terrified the poor girl and left her screaming. In order to soothe her and help her understand, her preacher grandpa (my daddy) told her the horn was to let the children know it was time to go home for lunch.  He even suggested that Dana say the words, "Go home and get your lunch" each time the whistle blew, which she would do at the top of her little lungs, albeit with the fear of God written all over her face.
 
One Sunday, our entire family was packed into the second row of the church, listening to Dad deliver his sermon. He was pretty wound up that day, if I remember correctly. It was breezy and all the church windows were open.
 
Well, right in the middle of his railing, and before we realized what was happening, darn it if that noon whistle didn't blow. Dana stood up in the pew, turned toward the three hundred people in the congregation, and shouted, "Go home and get your lunch!"
 
Do I have to tell you what happened? Church was over at that very moment. No benediction and no sevenfold amen! Later my preacher daddy, who had the world's best sense of humor, admitted: "It wouldn't have been so bad if half the congregation hadn't shouted AMEN!"  
 (Sue Buchanan)
 

 
Now that you're smiling. . .pass it on. . .
and have a JOY FILLED SUNDAY


13 comments:

Junkchiccottage said...

Too funny and what a great memory. Have a wonderful Sunday.
Kris

Liz said...

Too cute! I have been in the middle of listening to some long sermons that I wish someone would have yelled that!

Brenda Pruitt said...

What a wonderful story! And memory.
Brenda

Angela said...

Made me chuckle inside. Thanks for sharing. Have a blessed day.

Unknown said...

The best story! Love it!

Florida Farm Girl said...

OH, I love that story. Got me chuckling good.

What program did you use on these pictures? I love that effect.

Grammy Goodwill said...

Great story. Thanks for the chuckle.

Debby said...

That's pretty funny. Out of the mouths of babes.
Today at church we took our granddaughters. They were baptizing some people today. They have some statements that the people getting baptized say, "I do" or "I will". They also do this for the congregation to say this. When it was the baptized turn to say , "I will" not the congregation our granddaughter said loudly, "I will". It was hilarious.

Patricia @ 9th and Denver said...

hahaha!
How funny!

Debby Ray said...

What a cute story. I remember the noon fire siren that went off where I grew up too! Sometimes when there was really a real fire, we never thought much about it...we were used to hearing it, we just tuned it out :) I love your artsy photos too!

Unknown said...

Love your story, love your blog!
Cheryl

Leslie Anne Tarabella said...

Coming from a minister's family myself, your story doubly cracks me up!

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Best story I've ever heard!!
hugs,
Jann

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...