Monday, May 5, 2014

Bits and Pieces from the Farmhouse Kitchen

 
I hope this makes you smile. . . .as it did me. . . .After several days of farm chores. . . .weeding flower beds. . . .and preparing home cooked meals in between. . . .I'm beginning to look LIKE her. . . .A little mussy. . . .wearing an everyday cotton work dress. . . .hair tied up in a scarf. . . .tools of the trade in my pockets. . . .I'm prepared for anything.
 
I'm taking a 'break'  this morning to make Farmer John a chocolate cake.
I intended to whip up the vintage recipe below. . . .I've never used Karo Syrup in icings . . . .
Thought I might give it a try. . . .This one looked scrumptious. . .
.and I liked the No Cook part of it.
 
 
 
It reads:
"Fluffy Marshmallow Frosting Without Cooking"
It's so easy you'll top all your cakes with this good-looking icing.
You whip it up in a bowl in a few minutes.
Gives you lots and lots of smooth frosting. .
peaks up high and handsome.
It's never grainy. . .thanks to Karo Syrup.
Try this 'no-cook' magic on your next cake--and tell your friends.

Add 1/2 teaspoon salt to 2 egg whites.
Beat until frothy. Gradually add 1/4 cup sugar,
gradually beating until smooth and glossy.
Slowly add 3/4 cup Karo Syrup (Red or Blue label)
and continue beating until frosting stands in firm peaks.
Fold in 1 1/4 teaspoon vanilla.
For any tinted frosting, use Karo Syrup Red Label.
Flavor varieties: Add 2 tablespoons cocoa;
or 1 tablespoon grated orange or lemon rind;
or sprinkle with 1 cup shredded coconut."

I was a little hesitant to make the icing because of the egg whites,
so I searched the net and found this on E-How:
"The best way to prevent this (Salmonella poisoning) is to use pasteurized egg whites that can be purchased ready-to-pour in a bottle, as opposed to using fresh egg whites that you crack open yourself. Pasteurized eggs or egg whites sold in the refrigerator section of the supermarket have already been completely heated, so any bacteria inside was killed. These are safe to use in raw mixtures, such as frosting.
Good to know. . . .Maybe a cream cheese icing for now?

I do plan to whip up the Fluffy Marshmallow Frosting one day. . . .I love trying vintage recipes. . . .and the addition of coconut makes me think of Grandmother's coconut cake. . . .Her icing was different from the ones I use. . . .Wonder if  Karo Syrup was her secret?


One more 'mint green' thought. . . .(Did you notice the theme?)
Coming in mid-May, my post A White House Cookbook of My Own
will be featured in the online Summer issue of Ewenique Treasures Magazine!

Hello my name is Gen, I publish a free online magazine that features bloggers
such as yourself who contribute recipes, decor, crafts etc.
I'd love to feature your post Covering a White House Cookbook
and your blog in the upcoming Summer Issue

The book cover of this vintage cookbook was pretty beat up,
so I used a vintage kitchen towel to cover it. . . .The doilies are bookmarks. . . .
There's a semi-tutorial with the post. . . .A simple thing. . . .and quickly done.

Thanks to Gen for including me in her up-coming Summer issue!


I must get back to work. . . .I'm loving the sunshine and being outdoors. . . .
which makes gardening all the more sweeter. . . .
Once I ice the cake, I'm off to soak up more rays!

. . .from my farmhouse to yours. . .





11 comments:

Brenda Pruitt said...

Congrats! And I'd love to sit down with a cup of coffee at your table and have a hefty slice.
Brenda

camp and cottage living said...

Congratulations!
I'm sure hubby will love the cake-it looks yummy!
I've been thinking of doing the headscarf thing. Remember Ethel and Lucy wearing theirs....

Art and Sand said...

That first photo made me think about how a favorite aunt used to work in the garden. She wore her big dress, sensible black tie shoes and a big sun bonnet. She would probably be shocked that I am always in shorts, flip flops and t-shirts.

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

Congratulations and I love that photo of the old kitchen!!

Heide at ApronHistory said...

Love the kitchen picture! So cozy. Congratulations on being in the magazine, so exciting! Very clever idea to cover a cookbook in a dish towel. We have a little longer before we can start planting, but we have lots of plans!

Down Blueberry Lane said...

The 1st picture makes me think of my Home Ec teacher back in school. She was a dairy farmer and dressed just like this. She was a wonderful cook and was well known in our neck of the woods for her cinnamon rolls or as we called them sticky buns. YUM!!

LBP said...

Congratulations! What a lovely post. I love all your mint green! I have boldly and courageously made icing out of egg whites and we lived to tell about it, but I wouldn't if I were feeding it to a child or someone elderly. I love old recipes and got 2 huge boxes of them at an auction this weekend! Score!

Linda

Patricia @ 9th and Denver said...

Yep I noticed the green in the first picture... lovely green and so vintage-y!
That recipe sounds mighty good. I think I've done the topping with egg whites before and no problems.
Congrats on the online magazine feature!
Pat

Pam said...

Thanks so much for sharing your recipe! I love old recipes too.
I have also been out soaking up some rays, I have a nice tan going.
Hugs,
Pam
scrap-n-sewgranny.blogspot.com

Old Time Cindy said...

Well, congratulations to you! You are just so country cool!!!

Christine said...

Boy, am I glad to have grown up before they invented germs. Geeze. Space Food Stix, Shake-a-puddin' you name it. Oh, of course, Tang. Humans are more durable than we like to think even though contingents humans make are challenging that.

You might as well mention Egg Beaters, which make both eggs and egg whites. For those of you who are so bacteria-phobic, it's good to know that most restaurant breakfasts, including Caesar salad dressings, in restaurants are made with pasteurized eggs. You can tell if the edges are green, that they're not pasteurized.

My point, is that if you're that worried about things we all live through, know your enemy. and don't cook your hamburgers in butter, butter the bun, toast it and paste it with mayonnaise, as my mom's BHG (1956) cookbook recommends. That's a lot more dangerous that eggs.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...