Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Styling with Gray

 
Gray. . . .Is it new? . . .Actually, no--it isn't. . . .Though it's new to my way of thinking 'farmhouse'. . . .I've used gray before in my décor as in galvanized buckets and gray woods. . . .but, that just happened. . . .I never intentionally went for gray.
 
When I open many magazines these days. . . .and gather decorating ideas at Pinterest. . . .
I like how people are styling with it in. . . .

from: HVITURLAKKR
kitchens. . . .
 
from: Pinterest
dining rooms. . . .
 
from: THISTLEWOOD FARM
bathrooms. . . .
 
from: SALLY BUTCHER 
In living rooms. . . .
 
from: MICHELLE GRINDEL MEDSKER
bedrooms. . . .
 
from: THE PAPER MULBERRY
and accessories. . . .
 
Have you also noticed that many are venturing out
from purely 'white' décor and adding the softness of gray to the palette?
 I'm thinking it might be my new neutral?
 
Goes to show Me once again to never say 'never'. . . .
 
from: JO GARNER
 
Several years ago, I visited the new home in progress of a friend. . . .It was the first home he'd built for himself. . . .He was so proud of it. . . .A beautiful house---with a master suite that covered one whole side---walk in closets--top-of-the-line kitchen---whole wall of windows in the living room spanning from top to bottom---You get the idea, don't you?
A DREAM HOME. . . .
except for one thing. . . .
 
from: MY RUSTIC FARMHOUSE
He had painted the walls GRAY!!! Yuk!!
I thought to myself, 'I would never ever choose GRAY!'
What could you do with gray? Dull and plain. . . .but I never said a word to him. . . .
I figured he was a man and wanted a manly look to his new home. . . .(sigh). . . .
 
from: ZACINAJA
 
So here I am. . . .finding out that at least three rooms of our house will be in need of renovation soon (more about that later), and I'm looking at gray to 'up-date' my vintage look. . . .Isn't that fickle of me? . . . .I almost feel like I should apologize to my friend! . . . .Because now I see the merits of using gray.
 
Sometimes too much white can seem stark and uninviting. . . .From photos I see on Pinterest, gray softens that whiteness. . . .I'm beginning to really like what I see. . . .What do you think?
 
from: THE PAPER MULBERRY
 
Walls would probably stay white. . . .or not. . . .with the idea of using gray as an accent. . . .Maybe a gray couch or a few pieces of furniture painted gray--not a lot--just a few accents. . . .might turn out to be pleasing to the eye. . . .and much easier to keep clean.
 
Live a little. . . .Learn a little. . . .Who would have thought?
Obviously, not me. . . .til now. . . .


I'm so glad I didn't say anything to my friend. . . .
or I'd be too embarrassed to ask for another tour of his home one day soon. . . .
hmmm. . . .The joke's on me this time, isn't it?
 
 
There's more gray inspiration on my Pinterest board. . . .
almost 100 pins of gray and white. . .
If you'd like to see, follow the link and click on the 'GRAY' board.
(You don't have to be a member of Pinterest to go there, if you follow the above link.)
 
 
. . .from my farmhouse to yours. . .
 
 


13 comments:

Sandi~A Cottage Muse said...

I love this post as I am loving all things gray right now! I am almost done with my master bedroom makeover and am using gray, cream and white. A few more rooms in my home are going to get a fresh coat of a paler gray to add a little depth to all my whites and creams!

Jacqueline~Cabin and Cottage said...

My new shop space has gray walls. The owner chose it, and I was a skeptic at first, but now I'm sold. Your photo choices are wonderful. I'm completely taken by that patched pillow! Fabulous!!!

Egretta Wells blog said...

I think gray is just a fad and if you paint your walls gray, well, O.K for a few months, it might be alright, but then I believe you will long for warmth, color, and a more vivacious look. I am not even sure gray expresses personality,and being an artist, I just cannot live with gray. To each his own, I suppose!

Junkchiccottage said...

I have been slowly adding the light grey to my cream and white and I am loving it. It is so pretty and serene. It is not for everyone but for some it is what they love and I think everyone one should go with what they love.
Kris

Pamela Gordon said...

There are many shades of grey (not the book either!) out there that can be warm or cool so I'd go with a warm one that will work with cream and white and neutrals. Myself, I don't think I'd want grey in my house as I like warm and cozy colours but you can also add pops of colour with grey. I like some of the examples you shared though.

The Cranky said...

I've always been a fan of grey, especially a soft and misty grey. We've been combining it with a lot of creamy white with pops of soft pink and grey-green. It keeps the overall clean and neutral feeling with enough colour to keep it from seeming cold and sterile.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Great post with lovely inspiration photos. After seeing so many greys with peach years ago I really couldn't see myself ever using grey. But it is such a nice neutral now and I am beginning to add it to our home too. I would have had a similar reaction to your friends home too but not so now.

cynthia lee designs said...

I've never thought about using gray before, but I sure do love all the beautiful photos with the grey!!
hugs,
Cindy

Heide at ApronHistory said...

Gray is just like white, so many undertones to choose from. And it certainly goes well with crisp white! I like your idea of gray accents and a gray couch. You could even go with a small or pale pattern for the couch. I can envision small pale flowers or a light gray stripe. That would have a vintage feel to it!
I am sure you will come up with something beautiful! Great inspiration photos.

Nancy said...

I like the recent introduction of gray with white. My favorite inspirational photo in your post is the bedroom with gray and white, and the pop of red. Now that's something I would love to try. Being married to an artist, I could never have an all white or very neutral home. There's always going to be vibrant color somewhere. However, that doesn't stop me from admiring the white and pale tones others use and share. I think it's all wonderful. Thanks for sharing, Dru. Very inspirational. ~ Nancy

Maureen Wyatt said...

I have grey cabinetry in my white kitchen and the master bath is a deep grey. I love it and it changes with whatever accent colour you use with it.

Pam said...

I always thought gray looked very cold and lonely. These photos prove that wrong, they are just beautiful!
Pam
scrap-n-sewgranny.blogspot.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...